This mixed-use development project incorporates twenty-five new residential units and three new commercial spaces within five individual building structures. The redevelopment of this urban site included the renovation of four attached multi-family buildings and the construction of a new building addition which was prominently located on the corner of the site. Although these buildings are located within a historic district, the owner desired that these structures not just reflect the rich context of the neighborhood, but also communicate the new contemporary living style of the units.
The planning and management of this project utilized an integrated design-build approach as a strategy to balance the needs for appropriate design, appropriate quality, and the construction budget. The Model team’s significant construction experience within urban areas and established management processes provided the framework to guide a successful redevelopment project. Highlights of the solutions included:
- Engineered solutions were evaluated for cost compliance and constructability prior to construction.
- Floor levels were aligned to meet accessibility requirements.
- Mechanical systems and equipment were evaluated to meet sustainability goals.
- Budget management strategies included scope reductions, on-site solutions and self-performed work.
- Scheduled management strategies included close cooperation with city agencies.
- Solid sub-trade communication was established to ensure logistical efficiencies.
- Subcontractor management strategies included the monitoring of the capital needs of several companies.
- Prevailing wage and inclusionary participation were incorporated into all planning phases to meet internal partnership goals.